Preventing Lost Pets
There are several steps you can take to ensure your pets are safe and reduce the likelihood that they’ll become lost or stolen.
- Your pet should always wear a collar and ID tags at all times. Include an up-to-date phone number where you can be reached.
- Have your pet microchipped. Microchips are an implanted form of identification equipped to access your contact information when scanned at a veterinary clinic or shelter.
- Spay/neuter your pet. Studies have shown that sterilized animals are less likely to roam.
- Keep them safe when you’re out and about. Animals love the outdoors, but it is our responsibility to protect them. Always leash your animal(s) when outside. Keep them close to home and away from traffic, unfamiliar animals, and anyone who may not concern themselves with your pet’s best interests.
- Leave them comfortable at home. Never leave your dog leashed outside a store or unattended in the car, even if it’s locked or the windows are down.